The All-New IMVU 3D Chat - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    IMVU Forum Index -> Older IMVU News, Announcements and Release Notes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamidiaz

jamidiaz's page

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: The All-New IMVU 3D Chat - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) Reply with quote

The All-New IMVU 3D Chat - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

General
Q. Where can I download the All-New IMVU?
Just launch the 3D Chat window and a dialog box will come up prompting you to upgrade. Click “Update Now” and that’s it! The All-New 3D Chat will download and install automatically on your computer. You can also download it from here: http://imvu.com/catalog/web_download_steps.php?topnav=1

Q. It appears as though the word BETA isn’t on the new version; does that mean IMVU is coming out of BETA?
A. No, we are still in beta.

Q. How will performance, speed, and loading times be affected in the All-New IMVU?
A. This question is difficult to answer in a general way because everyone’s system is different. We have heard from users who have been testing it that performance has improved. It’s our plan to continue to invest in this area because we realize it’s extremely important.

Q. Will this be easier or harder for people who have older computers?A. This question is difficult to answer in a general way because everyone’s system is different. Our goal is to optimize for all users as much as possible, regardless of system. Supported operating systems continue to be Windows 2000, XP, and Vista (both 32 and 64).

Q. Will inventory, friends,, credits, and everything else that we have currently carry over to the new version?
A. Absolutely! All of your friends, inventory, credits, etc. will be available when you download the new 3D Chat, which is the same experience when you download a new release today.

Please note that when you move from the old version of 3D Chat to the All-New Chat, similar to when you download the latest version today, your favorites are not carried over. The good news is that with the new 3D Chat, we’ve made a change in how we store this information, so now, Recently Visited and Favorite Chat Rooms will always be saved when you download more recent versions.

Q. Do I have to view IMVU 3D Chat full screen?
A. No, you now have the option to view it full screen, however, you can still adjust the size to your preference and the Windows Taskbar will still be available.

Q. Where can I invite my existing friends to chat?
A. You can invite your friends to chat from the Decorate Room mode’s “Invite to Chat” button. In the future, we’re going to make this easier by adding a new mode called “Friends” where you can see who’s online and where they are.

Q.What happened to "Group Chat"?
A. It has been renamed "Invite to Chat".

Q. Were any changes made to our homepages on the website?
A. No, the changes we’ve made are limited to 3D Chat. Nothing on your homepage should appear different as a result of the launch of the All-New IMVU.

Q. Are you getting rid of Avatar Homepages?
A. Absolutely not.

Q. When I click on a name in the new 3D chat, a Profile opens. But I want people to visit my Homepage and see other people's Homepages!
A. There's a link to homepages in the Profile card. You can also get to homepages from the Friends window, as before.

Q. Is the All-New IMVU 3D Chat available for MAC or Linux users?
A. Not at this time.

Q. Can I still use the old version of IMVU 3D Chat?
A. Yes. You can toggle back and forth between the two versions by simply changing a setting in the Friends window. Under the Settings menu, check or un-check “Use New UI”. Once you change that setting, you’ll need to restart IMVU.

Additionally, if you find that you experience any difficulty with the new release, you’ll have the ability to go back to an older release if you choose to do so.

Q. Can I buy credits from the new 3D Chat?
A. Not yet, but the ability to buy credits right from within 3D Chat is coming soon.

Q. Will there be improvements to how we manage our inventory (like sub-categories or more specific sections to make it items easier to find)?
A. This is in the plans. More details to come as we have them.

Q. Where do I find “My Room”?
A. In the new 3D Chat, Decorate Room is the same as My Room. In the Decorate Room mode, you can edit your room or just hang out.

Q. Will we be able to move/walk about freely (without clicking a node) in the All-New IMVU?
A. No, not at this time.

Q. Will we have the ability to delete or giveaway unwanted inventory?
A. No, not at this time.

Q. Can others go into the dressing room with you?
A. No, not at this time.

Q. Will Creators still have to use the 1.0 format of CAL3D in the All-New IMVU?
A. There have been no changes to the underlying Cal3D code used to render avatars in IMVU. So, there is no impact to Creators.

Q. How will the All-New IMVU affect the client previewer interaction?
A. As is the case with every new release of IMVU, the new 3D Chat is another step away from the Previewer. Said another way, the two code bases are not in sync and so some errors may appear. We realize this is not optimal and intend to address this in the near future.

Q. Have shoutouts been removed from the All-New 3D Chat?
A. Yes.

Home Screen
Q. What is the Home Screen?
A. This is where the All-New IMVU 3D Chat experience begins.

Q. What is a “mode”?
In the All-New IMVU 3D Chat, a “mode” refers to the different options available in the Home Screen menu. My Profile, Dress Up, and Chat Now!, are all examples of modes.

Q. How can I chat with multiple people separately, but all at once?
A. It’s simple. You can initiate as many chats as you’d like and a new tabbed window will open for each. Then, you can click the tab for the window you wish to comment in.

Q. How do I end a chat and close the window?
A. You can easily end a chat and close a window by clicking the “x” in corner of the tab (just like in your web browser).

Q. How do I know what clothing and accessories I’ll have on in my next chat?
A. The outfit you have on in your Home Screen is the one that you’ll appear in when you chat. You can change your outfit in Dress Up mode. In other words, first set your outfit in Dress Up mode and then open a chat room, private chat, or Chat Now! session. You can then change your outfit in Dress Up mode to another and open another chat, so you’re wearing different outfits in each chat.

Q. How do I save and change my Outfit?
A. Saving and managing your outfit is still available from the Friends window’s Friend > Outfits… menu.

Q. How do I get back to the main menu?
A. Clicking the Home tab will always take you back to the main menu.
My Profile/Avatar Cards.

Q. What is My Profile?
A. This is where you can access your 3D Chat Profile. From here, you can update your location, tagline, interests, and affinity details. To change your avatar name, gender, and badges panel, visit the Account Settings page on the website (there’s a link from the upper right-hand corner of the IMVU window).

Q. What is an Avatar Card?
A. It’s a quick Profile of each avatar you see. (We also sometimes call it an “Avatar Card”.) It is the card that pops up whenever you click on a avatar name in the new 3D Chat. It contains the details a user chooses to share about themselves. The new Avatar Card also allows you to easily send messages, gifts, friend requests, and, of course, chat invitations.

Q. But I want people to visit my Homepage and see other people's Homepages!
A. There's a link to homepages in the Profile card. You can also get to homepages from the Friends window, as before.

Dress Up
Q. What is Dress Up mode?
A. Dress Up is where you go to dress your avatar for chats. Here, you can change your clothes and accessories seamlessly. What you put on here will appear on your Home Screen. Click on the clothing or accessory items from your inventory that you want to appear in your next chat and mix and match to design the outfit.

Q. How do I save and change my Outfit?
A. Saving and managing your outfit is still available from the Friends window’s Friend > Outfits… menu.

Decorate Room
Q. What is Decorate Room mode?
A. This mode automatically launches your room and makes it easy to decorate.

Q. What happened to the room editing options?
A. You’ll find a new icon in this mode called the “Decorate tools” palette. This tool has a new “explore” option, which allows you to move about your room without changing anything. If you wish to edit your room, simply click the appropriate button on the “Decorate tools” palette.

Note that some of the shortcut keys (ctrl+ keys) have changed to be more intuitive. Please click on the “i” in the Decorate tools palette to see the new options. We have also changed the right-click options when editing a room to match the tools palette.

You can still use the navigation icon to move around and toggle bird’s eye view while decorating a room.

Q. Where can I invite my existing friends to chat?
A. You can invite your friends to chat from the Decorate Room mode. In the future, we’re going to make this easier by adding a new mode called “Friends” where you can see who’s online and, later, where they are.

Q. When in decorate mode, how do I add new furniture?
A. Click on the furniture products from your inventory to make them appear in the room.

Q. How do I remove “Decorate Tools” icon when I am done editing my room?
A. Click the “decorate tools” button in the lower right-hand corner to remove the icon from the screen.

Find People
Q. What is the Find People mode?
A. This mode is like People Search and Chat Match on the website. It allows you to search for people to chat with right from within 3D Chat. You can use the filters to narrow your search of IMVU’s 35 million avatars by gender, location, status, and other attributes. You can also type in specific interests in the search box in the upper left-hand corner of the screen.

Chat Rooms
Q. What is Chat Rooms mode?
A. Chat Rooms mode offers an easy-to-search list of 3D Public Chat Rooms if you want to chat with several people at once. We’ve made it easier to scroll through Public Rooms and get the details you need to decide if you want to join the room. Click “Info” to view the Room Card, which contains the room description, owner, and the people in the room.

Q. What if I want to learn more about the people in a public room?
A. Click on any avatar name to see their Profile.

Q. How can I narrow my search of Public Rooms down to just those I am interested in?
A. We’ve added filters to make it easier for you to find exactly what you are looking for. And if that’s not your style, there’s a search box where you can enter keywords. On this screen, you can also easily find rooms you’ve marked as your favorites, as well as recently visited rooms.

Q. What if I want to search Public Rooms to find out where my friends are hanging out?
A. This option isn’t available yet, but we’re working on it.

Q. Why don’t the Chat Rooms I’d marked as My Favorites show up in the new 3D Chat?
A. Similar to when you download the latest 3D Chat version today, when moving from the old version of chat to the All-New Chat, your favorites are not carried over. The good news is that with the new 3D Chat, we’ve made a change in how we store this information, so now, Recently Visited and Favorite Chat Rooms will always be saved when you download more recent versions.

Q. How do I invite people into a room?
A. You can invite your friends into a public chat room by using the “Invite to Chat” button. The “Invite to Chat” button is the “Group Chat” button renamed.

Q. How can I edit a room I own?
A. Nothing’s changed. Click on the furniture sub-tab and click the “Decorate tools” button. Use the “Decorate tools” palette to modify the placement, size, etc. of furniture. To change your room name or description, visit the website, as before.

Q. What happened to the room editing options?
A. We have renamed the option to “Decorate tools”. This tool has a new “explore” option, which allows you to move about your room without changing anything. If you wish to edit your room, simply click the appropriate button on the “Decorate tools” palette (you’ll still find the familiar camera tool on the right-hand side of the screen to zoom in and out).

Note that some of the shortcut keys (ctrl+ keys) have changed to be more intuitive. Please click on the “i” in the Decorate tools palette to see the new options. We have also changed the right-click options when editing a room to match the tools palette.

Chat Now
Q. What is Chat Now?
A. Chat Now allows you to chat 1:1 with a random person from around the world.

Clicking this mode opens a window with filters that allow you to choose gender and language preferences for the person you want to chat with. IMVU will match you with someone randomly. Click on the person’s name to see their Profile to instantly find out more about them.

Q. What if I want to initiate a chat with an existing friend?
A. If you want to chat with an existing friend, simply select the friend you want to invite to chat from the Friends window and double-click their name. Or, go into Decorate Room mode and click the “Invite to Chat” button.

Inbox
Q. What is the Inbox mode?
A. Inbox is the convenience of your Inbox, only now right within 3D Chat! This is where you can go to send and receive messages to/from other IMVU users.

Q. Can I also see new friend requests from this mode?
A. Yes, you can find a tab for “Friend Requests” at the top of the page where you can approve or deny requests.

Q. And can I learn more about someone in Inbox mode?
A. Yes. Click their name to open their Profile.

Shopping/Inventory
Q. Are we still going to be able to shop on the website?
A. Absolutely. The ability to shop within 3D Chat is just supplemental; you’ll still have the ability to view the full catalog, along with the Product Detail Pages, on the website.

Q. Can I access the product catalog from the new 3D Chat?
A. Yes. You can search and browse over 2 million items right from within 3D Chat.

Q. Can I try on clothes from 3D Chat?
A. Yes. It’s now easier than ever to try on a bunch of clothes & accessories and buy an entire outfit at once.

Q. Will I be able to find the clothing & accessories I try on more easily?
A. Yes. We now provide a history of everything you try on in 3D Chat. So if you put an item on, and then take it off, it will remain in the shopping carousel at the bottom of the dress up area of Shop mode, so you can put it back on if you want, and easily find it without having to look for it again in the catalog.

Q. Where can I add items to my wishlist in the new 3D Chat?
A. At this time, you can only add items to your wishlist from the website. That said, we’re currently working on some really great enhancements to this feature that will soon be available from within the new 3D Chat.

Q. How can I trigger actions within the new Shop mode?
A. At this time, you cannot try trigger actions from 3D Chat, but this is a top priority for us and will soon be available from within the new 3D Chat.

Q. Are more features coming to make shopping in the new 3D Chat even better?
A. Absolutely! This is just the beginning of improvements; soon we'll introduce outfit management (so you can name and save outfits to purchase later) as well as add the ability to add products to your wishlist from 3D Chat. We know you want it - and we're working hard to give it to you.

Q. Will we be able to “try on” rooms or furniture in the All-New IMVU 3D Chat?
A. No, not at this time.

Peer Review
Q. Can I do Peer Review in the new 3D Chat?
A. Not yet. Use the website, and a new window will open.

Hide ads? Get VIP!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    IMVU Forum Index -> Older IMVU News, Announcements and Release Notes All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: